Re: HTML friendly links to (browser-friendly reports of) metainformation

Putting a div in the head in HTML means that you imply a body element before
it, and therefore introduce an error. In XHTML it is an error straight out.

I don't think it is necessary in either case - if what we need is a specific
"role" value, that's what we should deal with. Using teh EARl namespace as a
value would be a good thought perhaps...

Charles

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Jim Ley wrote:

  >* On the grouping in a 'metadata' element vs. a 'div' --
  >[again this is something where the details I am happy to defer to the
  HTML WG]
  >I claim you should be no more happy with a 'metadata' collector than with
  >'div' collector in the HEAD section. The 'div' is a pure structuring
  >convention without taint of the purpose of the structuring. So it goes in
  the
  >HEAD just fine.

  I have to disagree, conceptually it goes in the head okay, the problem is
  in current HTML parsers, they all (certainly the major, and the ones that
  serialise for us which I've tested) consider it the start of the "body",
  therefore to place it in the head will confuse these, they'll see multiple
  bodies, the adding of body attributes will be lost, or confused, or
  reliant on error correction.