Re: A Crack at an EARL Vocabulary

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 17:11:13 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, <w3c-wai-er-ig@w3.org>
As for how we notate comments...

Charles suggested

>:len :asserts {:apple :comment "well, it's really sort of a reddish yellow
>with a touch of violet haze"} .

I agree with what you're getting at, but I think that unfortunately  this
isn't the way to notate it.  I say "unfortunately" because I'm finding it
awkward to reduce everything to triples, as RDF requires.

The problem is that if we consider these two statements

:len: :asserts {:apple  :comment  "well, it's really sort of reddish yellow" }
:chaaz  :assert {:apple  :comment "to my eye it's more of a tan" }

they indicate a disagreement between :len and :chaaz because they describe
an apple with a single property  called "comment", and :len and :chaaz
disagree about the value of that property.  It's the same disagreement as
saying

:len :asserts {:apple :color "red" }
:chaaz :assert {:apple :color "yellow"}

Now, a human reading these, who knows what the word "comment" means, will
treat these two pairs of statements differently.  But an RDF interpreter
with the general rule that

:p :asserts {:x :y1 }
:q :asserts {:x :y2 }

are contradictions if y1 does not equal y2

will consider the comment constructs to be contradictions.

That's why I wrote this as

:c  :type :comment .
:c  :author: :len .
:c :applies_to :apple .

(this can be be abbreviated but these are the underlying meaning)

At least, this is how I interpret it.  People who think otherwise, please
pile on <smile />

Len

Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
University
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/IG/

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant:
http://www.temple.edu/inst_disabilities/piat/wave/