Re: Updated "How People with Disabilities Use the Web" for review in 12 March 2004 Teleconference

At 09:53 AM 3/12/2004 -0500, Sailesh Panchang wrote:
>Here are some comments:
>1. Online shopper with cognition difficulties:  spawning new windows /
>Pop-ups  can be a barrier. So you can say the sites  have them or do not
>have them

Do you mean the example of "supermarket assistant with cognitive
disability"? I think that that example is already overloaded, and we
address pop-up windows in "retiree" example already.

>2. For vision impaired users:
>- device dependent event triggers on forms make keyboard use impossible
>- Links not grouped so skipping to content or desired group is a problem
>- Text sections not marked up with headers so need to  read entire text
>- required fields on forms  are bold faced or colored
>- PDF files and  inaccessible Flash or multi media

Added to change log for consideration for a future version of document.

>3. For people with motor impairments
>Ref: "• forms that cannot be tabbed through in a logical order (Note:
>"Tabindex" solution not yet well supported in browsers.)"
>SP:Tabindex works at least with IE 5.5 and above  (more than 90% market
>share?)

Parenthetical note removed

>4. For people who are deaf:
>-audio webcasts that do not have transcripts

combined with audio on the Web point

>5. Assistive Technologies and Adaptive Strategies
>I think accessibility features built into OS like sticky keys, filtter
>keys, fontsize  and color setting, sound sentry, mouse keys are not mentioned.

Sound sentry is addressed by visual notification. Other settings that you
mention are not addressed in this version. Will flag in changelog for
consideration for future versions.

>General note:Will it be more helpful for all to get the documents for
>review at least 24 hours before the meeting  ? It will surely help me to
>read the doc and have my comments  ready before the meeting.

When possible we do.

Thanks,

- Judy

>Regards,
>Sailesh Panchang
>Senior Accessibility Engineer
>Deque Systems,11180  Sunrise Valley Drive,
>4th Floor, Reston VA 20191
>Tel: 703-225-0380 Extension 105
>E-mail: <mailto:sailesh.panchang@deque.com>sailesh.panchang@deque.com
>Fax: 703-225-0387