Re: Training pages

From: Alan Cantor <acantor@interlog.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 23:28:15 -0400
To: "Education and Outreach Working Group" <w3c-wai-eo@w3.org>
I looked through the new materials and generally like them. Good work, Judy!
The "spare" front end is good.

When planning any kind of training session or workshop or curriculum, I always
express objectives and activities using the imperative verb form. This was
done on the main page,

www.w3.org/WAI/training

which is very clear:

1. Determine Needs and Expectations

2. Choose Resources and Approaches

3. Arrange Resources in Advance

etc.

I suggest applying the same principle to the navigation bar, so that

planning | objectives | resources | arranging | perspectives

reads something like:

Plan the session | Set objectives | Identify resources | Arrange resources |
Get ideas from web accessibility trainers.

There are a couple of minor problems with

www.w3.org/WAI/References/Browsing

1. Link to info about the accessibility features in I.E. 4.01 is out of date.

2. Link to screen magnification info at www.magnifiers.demon.nl is dead.

Finally, I noticed no description of keyboard-only access to the Web: using
internet software without a mouse. Keyboard-only access is used by people who
are blind, laptop users, and sometimes by people with upper-body mobility
impairments or learning disabilities. This is less of an assistive technology
than an alternative access strategy, and it is something that I could write
for this purpose (if I haven't done so already!)

Alan