Re: Training pages

Alan,

At 11:28 PM 6/8/00 -0400, Alan Cantor wrote:
>I looked through the new materials and generally like them. Good work, Judy!
>The "spare" front end is good.

Trimmed and trimmed.

>When planning any kind of training session or workshop or curriculum, I
always
>express objectives and activities using the imperative verb form. This was
>done on the main page,
>
>www.w3.org/WAI/training
>
>which is very clear:
>
>1. Determine Needs and Expectations
>
>2. Choose Resources and Approaches
>
>3. Arrange Resources in Advance
>
>etc.
>
>I suggest applying the same principle to the navigation bar, so that
>
>planning | objectives | resources | arranging | perspectives
>
>reads something like:
>
>Plan the session | Set objectives | Identify resources | Arrange resources |
>Get ideas from web accessibility trainers.

I think there are advantages to one-word navitems wherever possible. Anyone
else care to comment on this point?

>There are a couple of minor problems with
>
>www.w3.org/WAI/References/Browsing
>
>1. Link to info about the accessibility features in I.E. 4.01 is out of date.
>
>2. Link to screen magnification info at www.magnifiers.demon.nl is dead.

Okay, but there's problems on lots of the other resources too -- if you
have updated links I will get them in there but let's focus on the set of
training pages right now, not on everything at once...

>Finally, I noticed no description of keyboard-only access to the Web: using
>internet software without a mouse. Keyboard-only access is used by people who
>are blind, laptop users, and sometimes by people with upper-body mobility
>impairments or learning disabilities. This is less of an assistive technology
>than an alternative access strategy, and it is something that I could write
>for this purpose (if I haven't done so already!)

Where? in the "How People with Disabilities Use the Web?" (that's where we
should be addressing it, and that page has edits pending) or somewhere in
the training pages?

>Alan

Thanks for your comments,

- Judy