Re: Training page -- new draft, please comment

From: Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 20:38:08 -0400
To: karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov, w3c-wai-eo@w3.org

At 04:51 PM 6/8/00 -0400, karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov wrote:
>This will be a great resource, and is quite timely.

Great. Thanks for all your comments here, these are helpful.

>As Judy and Chuck are
>aware, my office is providing auditorium-style training to webmasters in
>the federal government.   Our next classes won't be until June 27th, so it
>might be possible for us to test some of these ideas on a large sample size
>(our first four sessions had about 450 registrants -- haven't had time to
>identify the number of actual attendees, and we have 14 more sessions

It would be good if we can spend some time tomorrow discussing the ideas on
the resource page, then, because not all of these have been equally well

>An additional resourcethat would be EXTREMELY useful would
>be to have "one-page" guides (print on a single piece of paper) on specific
>problem areas, such as PDF, Java, JavaScript, dynamic webpages.

There are many resources mentioned on the list that would be helpful to
develop further -- as you and Chuck have mentioned, the "How People with
Disabilities Use the Web" is critical to get in a usable format as soon as
we can. I'll be editing in some of our previous comments to that shortly,
and putting it out for more discussion.

But there's a bit of a problem with W3C developing guides on accessibility
approaches or concerns with non-W3C, proprietary technologies. W3C is not
necessarily in a position to make unilateral representations regarding
problems or issues in other technologies -- however, it is possible that
such guidance might be developed jointly with other organizations, and in
fact WAI is beginning one or two such discussions.

>I would
>see this as an separate page, such as "Topic Guides",   "Topics", or

Depends how many things we'd be putting on there that would be specific to
training. There's also the possibility of linking back to a central "WAI
Resources" page -- (different from the "WAI References" page which includes
a number of external links (and which needs to be updated) and different
from the "Training Resources" page. The "WAI Resources" page which we've
talked about quite a while ago will either be a directory of or include
very short blurbs on the whole range of WAI-produced W3C Recommendations,
Proposed Recommendations, Working Drafts, Notes, and WAI EOWG Resource Pages.

>   Good framework for training development.  It's really a cyclical process
>   where trainer perspectives can provide valuable feedback for determining
>   needs and managing expectations

Can't wait to read those trainer perspectives. Karl, can you draft one,
based on the GSA trainings you've been organizing? We'll may
mix/match/combine topics and perspectives, but might help to set a blurb
about your trainings.

>Learning Objectives:  What does the audience need?
>   This should be part of any registration form/process.   I can try to
>   incorporate this into our online registration process (retroactively get
>   feedback from people who have attended one of our first four sessions).
>   I know we need to address the NOSCRIPT part of our registration form,
>   but I'd welcome feedback on any outstanding accessibility issues:
>        http://w3.gsa.gov/web/m/cita.nsf/CourseRegistration2?OpenForm

The trouble with giving people the whole list would be making sure to
manage expectations. Realistically, only a fraction of the objectives can
be addressed in any one session.

>Learning Objectives:  What are the audience's learning objectives?
>   This should be part of any registration and evaluation or feedback
>   form/process.   I can try to incorporate this into our online
>   registration process (retroactively get feedback from people who have
>   attended one of our first four sessions).   Registration forms are much
>   easier to deal with online than evaluation forms, unless participants
>   each have access to a computer with web access.
>Resources and Approaches
>   Great to have resources and approaches linked to specific learning
>   objectives.   Encouraging trainers to submit perspective documents
>   could lead to additional learning objectives, and help identify more
>   resources for each objective.

I don't think we should have unlimited perspectives, though.

>Subsequent trainers would have more
>   "raw" material readily available to use in their course, although our
>   experience so far raises substantial issues with the need for printed
>   and alternate format materials (we distributed about 300 copies of a
>   28-page, double-sided handout).    What is the best method for providing
>   alternate formats for a slide show presentation?

Several methods. Large print, braille, disk, Web...

>Arranging Resources for Trainings
>   Online or offline?    Working offline requires extensive copying of all
>   files (all graphics as well as HTML), although only copying the HTML
>   file provides a clear indication of whether or not people are using ALT
>   text since all images are "broken links".   Online is particular
>   effective if you include a live demonstration of real webpages by one or
>   more people with disabilities.  Having one or more representatives of
>   the disability community presenting also provides better discussions,
>   since they can relate actual experiences.
>Karl Hebenstreit, Jr.
>US General Services Administration
>Office of Governmentwide Policy
>Center for Information Technology Accommodation
>Federal IT Accessibility Initiative
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)