importing and converting markup

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:19:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: WAI AU Guidelines <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
we currently have

2.3.4:  [Priority 1] The tool must recognize accessibility markup for any
language or format that it imports or converts.

2.3.5:  [Priority 1] Never remove markup supported by the tool that is known
to promote accessibility

I think these are both dealing with the same thing - preserving accessibility
features during format, language, or structural transformations (For example
turning a table into a set of lists, or vice versa.

I propose that these two checkpoints be merged into a single one which says

"Preserve all accessibility features in content which is converted or
transformed into a different language, format, or structure". Priority 1

I think this checkpoint actually belongs under guideline 2.4

The fact that a tool needs to recognise these features in a markup language
or format the it can import seems to be sufficiently obvious from this
checkpoint - otherwise we should retain 2.3.4.

charles McCN