Re: SD1 - Proposal: allow in valid XML-Documents only

Peter Flynn wrote:

> Steve DeRose writes:
> > The total costs for different forms, given an n-char GI are:
> [...]
>
> The more I look at the arguments, the more convinced I am that
> XML is not likely to be a meaningful format for distributing
> database-resident bulk data. This shouldn't surprise anyone: it
> was never designed to do this. You want to ship bulk data, you
> send a Java applet followed by a gzipped datafile, and let the
> applet generate XML locally for the display.
>
> ///Peter

This gives me pause.  I now wonder precisely which applications
it will be good for. If all you are doing is sending XML to the
display, HTML works pretty well for that.  So what I get from
XML then, is a display format with more complex hyperlinking?

no....

len