Re: SD1 - Proposal: allow in valid XML-Documents only

Len Bullard writes:
[shipping bulk data]
> This gives me pause.  I now wonder precisely which applications
> it will be good for. If all you are doing is sending XML to the
> display, HTML works pretty well for that.  So what I get from
> XML then, is a display format with more complex hyperlinking?

No, I don't see that conclusion follows at all. You can build into the
applet whatever smarts you want: all I'm saying is that shipping bulk
data premarked in plain XML (or SGML) is inefficient. Having a
dynamically-generated chunk of JavaScript unwrap and rejig a
dynamically-composed chunk of data in some highly compact (?binary)
format might overcomes the transmission problem. The XML which hits
the browser should be the same as if it has been composed and
transmitted _en clair_.

///Peter