Re: Link-4: Extended Linking Group Indirection

From: Christopher R. Maden <crm@eps.inso.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 14:34:33 GMT
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
[Tim Bray]
> Suppose I read a doc, and it's got an XLG, which causes me to read
> another, and it has an XLG too, that is different?  Do I go on
> following the XLG chain forever?  HyTime, whose BOS concept is
> related, has a BOSlength or some such parameter.  Things we could do
> in XML include:
>
> 1. Saying nothing, and let processors work it out

I strongly favor this alternative.  The chain should stop when it
returns to an already-known document, but other than that, I think it
should be up to the application.  I can see some applications only
going a certain distance down the chain; others that silently follow
the chain in the background, updating the display as they go; and
others that just don't follow it at all.  This is an excellent space
for browsers to distinguish themselves in, and I think any one
prescribed handling will break at least one possible application.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden                  One Richmond Square
DynaText SIT Technical Support        Providence, RI 02906 USA