RE: SD1 - Short End Tags

From: Andrew Layman <andrewl@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 10:19:54 -0700
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Several people have suggested that we could save as much space as short
end tags offer by putting data into attributes rather than elements.
One could turn this around and say that if we had short end tags, we
would be much less motivated to put data into attributes!

What this points out is the urgency of settling the question of whether
there is a real distinction between contents and attributes. Once we
know the answer to that, a great deal follows. I hope to post a large
essay on that point later today.