RE: Link-2: Pseudo-elements

From: Steven J. DeRose <sjd@eps.inso.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:38:08 -0400
To: "James K. Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>, "'Tim Bray'" <tbray@textuality.com>, "w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 07:37 PM 05/18/97 +0800, James K. Tauber wrote:

>I'd be be happy to see CHILD(N) refer to the Nth "proper" element. It is
intuitive enough and psuedo-element linking can always be achieved as a type
of sub-element linking instead.

I presume you mean, element as opposed to subelement. "Proper" is an SGML
term for an element instance which is valid by virtue of a content model, as
opposed to by virtue of an inclusion exception -- which I presume cannot be
what you mean, right?

But still, how do we refer to content that isn't a whole subelement? That's
a major subtraction of functionality.

For example, it makes it impossible for external links to refer to anything
that the original author didn't tag: like, pointing to a word or phrase and
describing it as a typo, an allusion, a desired link origin, a noun, or
whatever. Bad thing to leave out of a language, IMHO.

Steven J. DeRose, Ph.D., Chief Scientist
Inso Electronic Publishing Solutions
   (formerly EBT)