AW: public/catalog [was: Re: ERB Decisions of March 26th]

>On Fri, 28 Mar 1997 18:40:55 -0500 Jon Bosak said:
>>  Could those who claim to be interested in seeing public
>>identifiers implemented in XML please comment on Paul's proposal

>----------

This interpretation will make the resolution process robust. I hereby
propose, that interpretation also includes unfolding, so that the
matching process is performed case insensitively.

This interpretation should be performed to the publid identifiers as
well as to PublicID in the catalog file.

Obviously, Paul did not specifiy "formal Public Identifiers". That´s
very good. So the Public Identifier is only a significant text string.

If we do such an interpretation, one could think that the same approach
could be done using system identifiers. SP supports SYSTEM entries in
its catalogs. But I think it makes a lot of sense, to keep
public identifiers separate from system identifers.

>All catOtherEntry entries have no effect prescribed by this XML
>specification, though individual implementations may recognize
>and operate on any or all of them.

If nested catalogs are not supported, I guess many implementors will add
other features following different approaches. Therefore I propose, that
the following features of SGML Open catalogs should be there:

	OVERRIDE - making the document totally independant from occasionally
			exisiting system identifiers
	CATALOG - allowing a very flexible file arrangement by nested catalogs

Regards/Mit freundlichen Gruessen
======
Bernhard Weichel              Phone:  (49) 711 811 8322
Robert Bosch GmbH               Fax:  (49) 711 811 8262
Dept. K3/EES4                 eMail:  bernhard.weichel@pcm.bosch.de
P.O. Box 30 02 40
D-70442 Stuttgart
Germany