Re: New work-queue item: Conditional inclusion

From: Rick Jelliffe <ricko@allette.com.au>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 03:37:43 +1000
To: "Gavin Nicol" <gtn@eps.inso.com>, <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>

<ask-dave>
I think Dave Peterson had  ideas for a while for upgrading the parameter entity/marked section
mechanism to add Boolean conditions (more like  #defines), so this is not a particularly radical
idea. </>

<ironic>
Since XML is busy trying to throw away both PEs and marked sections, it is ironic
to then suddenly be wanting them back, in effect.  I take it as another example of my belief
that many of the gripes people have with SGML is that, apart from entities and
elements, many constructs are currently incompletely defined (e.g. PIFLE) to meet their
potential. </>

<related-issue>
I have also wondered whether there should be a "preprocessing instruction", namely
another kind of delimiter targetted at servers. I would suggest it use  cpp  delimiters:
	PPIO	"&#RS;#"
	PPIC	"&#RE"
This would take over the server-side inclusion facility.  </>

Rick Jelliffe