Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

In message <v03020901afb8a02c4781@DialupEudora> "B. Tommie Usdin" writes:
> It seems to me that much of this discussion can be summarized as a debate
> between people saying (in essence):
>    "XYZ (in this case PEs) can be used badly, so we shouldn't allow them"

My understanding was different - that parser implementers were having
considerable difficulty in implementing PEs, possibly in part because their
implementation was no completely defined from the spec.  My concern was that
(a) PEs could be seen as sufficiently complex to deter parser-writers from
implementing them and (b) that if not precisely defined there could be
different opinions in how they were implemented.  [Subsequent discussion
has suggested that their implementation is moderately straightforward but
still requires significant effort.]

The claim from the disestablishmentarians (which includes me) is that every
little bit added to XML-LANG makes it that bit more difficult to:
	(a) implement
	(b) sell to potential customers.
For example, I was evangelising XML to non-SGML people today and pointing out
that the main features of the language are balanced tags and quoted attributes.
This is probably heresy on this list :-), but it made them feel quite relaxed
about the language and positive towards it.   Later they can be introduced
to the more complex constructs.

	P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust, domestic net connection
Virtual School of Molecular Sciences