Re: KISS (was: Parameter entity references in WF docs)

From: B. Tommie Usdin <btusdin@mulberrytech.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 17:54:12 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
It seems to me that much of this discussion can be summarized as a debate
between people saying (in essence):
   "XYZ (in this case PEs) can be used badly, so we shouldn't allow them"

and others saying:
   "I find XYZ (in this case PEs) very useful, especially for ... "

I virtually never find the first argument persuasive; everything can be
abused.  I often find the second compelling, as I do in this case.

While I agree that PEs have been used very badly, and that their
thoughtless use can and does confuse a lot of people, I think that well
used they are of great value in simplifying DTD construction, making DTDs
clear and understandable, and perhaps most important making DTD maintenance
easy.

I suggest that PEs are a very valuable tool and would be disappointed to
see XML without them.

B. Tommie Usdin                     Phone: 301/231-6934
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.           Fax: 301/231-6935
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608    E-mail: btusdin@mulberrytech.com
Rockville, MD  20852                  WWW: http://www.mulberrytech.com