Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

At 8:46 AM 5/28/97, Tim Bray wrote:
>At 10:48 AM 5/28/97 +0900, Murata Makoto wrote:

>>4. Ideographic space character
>>(1) Proposal
>>The ideographic space character should not be considered as
>>a white space character.
>
>This is obviously a difficult decision.  In my work in Japan
>(in the area of full-text search) I was told that the fullwidth
>space should be treated as a space for purposes of searching.
>In the internationalization TC to SGML, how is this handled?

It isn't.  The Extended Naming Rules (ENR) TC makes it possible to
deal with the many additional characters, but doesn't prescribe what
additional characters should go into any class of characters modifiable
in a concrete syntax.  You can include or not include this special
space character in the same way that a tab is included in whitespace
in the reference concrete syntax.

Dave Peterson
SGMLWorks!

davep@acm.org