Re: Comments on XML Part 1 from Japanese experts

From: Gavin Nicol <gtn@eps.inso.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 09:25:13 -0400
To: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp
CC: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>>I disagree. I have seen *many* Japanese people become *very* confused
>>when they include (accidently or not) an ideographics space character
>>into their DTD or whatever, and have a parser fail.
>
>This is an error message issue.  To be friendly to Japanese users,
>XML parsers should say "Ideographic space characters (zenkaku space)
>are not allowed here.  Use space characters (hankaku space)."

Well, I have problems with the "here" in the above sentence. It assumes
far too much about the implementation.

Imagine how you would feel if the parser just said:

  "Illegal character #x3000 in input"

or worse, just simple didn't parse your file. I would prefer to keep
zenkaku spaces in simply because it will make life for the user a lot
easier. If you *really* want them out, I would recommend mapping them
to hankaku spaces in the SGML declaration.