Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name gro

Peter Flynn wrote:

> Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>    Aren't large, complex documents with large,
>    complex DTDs the reason we are *here*?
>
> No, that's what "full" SGML is for. The ethos of XML is simplicity,
> isn't it?

I don't believe the simplicity of XML is inconsistent with
large, complex documents. But I don't expect that those
large, complex documents will fit into the web context without
at least a little bit of engineering effort.

Information providers who want to preserve their investment in SGML
should expect to do a little bit of work to interoperate
with the explosion of dead-simple XML tools and clients
that I expect to see.

It's not like large complex documents are a square peg and
XML is a round hole, but the folks with those large documents
should be prepared to shave off the corners a bit.

--
Dan Connolly, Architecture Domain Lead
http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/