Re: Parameter entities vs. GI name gro

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@m-net.arbornet.org>
Date: 03 Jul 1997 23:37:58 +0100
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

   > At 02:07 PM 19/06/97 -0400, B. Tommie Usdin wrote:
   > Except for this sentence, I agree with the rest of Tommie's posting.
   > I want to lose PE's and am willing to accept that for people who need
   > to live in a complex-DTD world, they'll probably have to use Full SGML.

   It seems odd to me that we are going to add complexity to help
   people who need to publish databases but remove complexity required
   by people who need to publish large, complex documents adhering to
   large, complex DTDs. Aren't large, complex documents with large,
   complex DTDs the reason we are *here*?

No, that's what "full" SGML is for. The ethos of XML is simplicity,
isn't it? Much as I love Parameter Entities, they're just another
complexity to explain to the implementors.

///Peter, catching up at last