Re: Error handling: yes, I did mean it

From: Peter Flynn <pflynn@curia.ucc.ie>
Date: 23 Apr 1997 10:44:55 +0100
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Joe writes:
> Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:
> > To summarize: I proposed that XML processors be required to stop
> > passing data (other than error notifications) to applications after the
> > first violation of well-formedness.
> This proposal does sound appealing, but I agree with the others
> that it's too draconian.
> Here's what I would like to see as a requirement:
> 	1. An XML parser _must_ report the first error it detects
> 	to the application, as soon as the error is detected.
> 	2. XML user agents _should_ notify the user of any errors
> 	encountered in an XML document.

I'd add:

        3. At user option, an XML parser may pass the remaining text
        of the document (markup plus content) to the application (or
        to the user if the parser is standalone) prefixed by a signal
        or message to the effect that it is unparsed.

This gives apps the option of letting a user turn on the switch marked
"Show me full text even if there are errors". The app can then conduct
its own interpretation of the remaining text.