RE: CSS1 becomes W3C Proposed Recommendation

From: Chris Wilson (PSD) <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:39:19 -0800
To: "'Paul Prescod'" <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, "'w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
It's not actually lost; any character can be escaped in a CSS selector
name.  According to section 7.2 of the CSS PR,

'in CSS1, selectors...can also contain escaped characters and any
Unicode character as a numeric code...the backslash followed by at most
four hexadecimal digits (0..9A..F) stands for the Unicode character with
that number...any character except a digit can be escaped to remove its
special meaning, by putting a backslash in front, Example: "\"" is a
string consisting of one double quote.'

Does this suffice to address your concerns?

	-Chris
Chris Wilson
cwilso@microsoft.com
( And no, Internet Explorer 3.0 did not support this.  :^) )