RE: CSS1 becomes W3C Proposed Recommendation

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 12:52:09 -0500
To: "Chris Wilson (PSD)" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, "'Paul Prescod'" <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>, "'w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org'" <w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org>
At 09:26 AM 11/15/96 -0800, Chris Wilson (PSD) wrote:
>Sorry, I haven't been paying as close attention to this list as perhaps
>I should have.  What's the problem with CSS using '.' as a class
>selector indicator?

It is a useful SGML NAME character:

<THIS.THAT ID="Introduction.Opening.Paragraph">

Since the SGML Reference Concrete Syntax ("regular SGML") doesn't allow
underscore as a word-joiner, the loss of "." is a problem.

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html