OMITTAG specifications in element declarations

From: Eve L. Maler <elm@arbortext.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 13:41:13 -0500
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Cc: elm@arbortext.com
In XML, we've tossed out OMITTAG.  However, there's a question about
whether we allow the "omitted tag minimization" parameter in XML
element declarations.

I feel we should, so that existing DTDs that provide these specifications
don't need to be maintained in two separate versions, one for SGML and
one for XML.  I see no harm in allowing them.  In private conversation,
Tim has said that we shouldn't, because it requires more cruft in the
XML spec.

Opinions?

        Eve