Re: OMITTAG specifications in element declarations

From: Paul Prescod <papresco@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 20:49:59 -0500
To: Joe English <jenglish@crl.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
At 05:39 PM 11/2/96 -0800, Joe English wrote:
>Don't forget: you also have to expand all the parameter
>entity references,
>Heaven help you if you're using something like
>TEI, DocBook, or IBM ID Doc...

>> The point of Eve's proposal is to avoid having to
>> continue to maintain both versions.  That to me
>> _does_ "seem like that big a deal...".
>
>Point taken, but I think it will take more than just
>allowing "- -" in the XML grammar to make this feasible.
>I could live without AND groups, but parameter entities and
>the ability to specify more than one associated element
>type in <!ELEMENT ...> and <!ATTLIST ...> declarations are
>essential.

Often I find that even the DTD syntax is not powerful enough to express the
particular semantics and element-context linkages I want to express
elegantly (e.g. OOP-style "inheritance"). The solution may be to code in
something entirely unlike DTDs (for instance one of the instance syntax
languages we have discussed) and down-translate. Eve's suggestion would seem
to allow ONE down-translation instead of two.

 Paul Prescod
---
Boycott Shell Oil worldwide!  http://www.web.apc.org/embargo/shell.htm

"Shell is here on trial and it is as well that it is represented by counsel
said to be holding a watching brief."..."The ecological war that the Company
has waged in the Delta will be called to question sooner than later." -Ken
Saro-Wiwa to the tribunal that later executed him.
http://www.goldmanprize.org/goldman/ken.html