Re: OMITTAG specifications in element declarations

From: W. Eliot Kimber <drmacro@drmacro.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 1996 12:58:41 -0900
To: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@arbortext.com>, w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
Cc: elm@arbortext.com
At 01:41 PM 11/2/96 -0500, Eve L. Maler wrote:
>In XML, we've tossed out OMITTAG.  However, there's a question about
>whether we allow the "omitted tag minimization" parameter in XML
>element declarations.
>
>I feel we should, so that existing DTDs that provide these specifications
>don't need to be maintained in two separate versions, one for SGML and
>one for XML.  I see no harm in allowing them.  In private conversation,
>Tim has said that we shouldn't, because it requires more cruft in the
>XML spec.

I hadn't thought about it before, but it seems easier to add a little more
to the element declaration production (and corresponding pattern matching
regexps) than to require changing 99% of existing declarations to work with
XML.  It's only two additional two-character optional OR groups:  ([O\-],

Cheers,

E.
--
W. Eliot Kimber (drmacro@drmacro.com)
Senior SGML Consulting Engineer, Highland Consulting