Re: OOPS: (was: first pass parseType="Literal" text for primer)

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:18:07 +0100
Graham Klyne <gk@ninebynine.org> wrote:

> Am I missing something, or does this really not stand up?:
>
> [[
> The string used as the lexical form of the XML Literal is the Exclusive XML
> Canonicalization [XML-XC14N]) with comments and with empty
> InclusiveNamespaces PrefixList of the literal text l, i.e. the entire
> element content of this property element.
> ]]
> --
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-syntax-grammar-20030117/#parseTypeLiteralPropertyElt

That came from Jeremy
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Mar/0151.html

> As I recall, the "Exclusive XML Canonicalization" is an *octet* sequence,
> not a character sequence, and as such is not eligible to be a lexical form.

The input to canonicalization is either an octet stream (required)
OR an XPath node-set.  We use events equivalent to the latter.
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#DataModel

The output of canonicalization, the canonical form, is an octet sequence
forming the text generated from the canonical form (XPath node-set).
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#ProcessingModel

The XML Canonicalization documents define
not only "canonical form of an XML document" (the octets) but
"canonical XML" which is XML written in the canonical form.
-- http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#Terminology

We use Exclusive XML Canonicalization with comments, which
is XML written in the exclusive canonical form (with comments)
i.e. written into XML's alphabet - Unicode characters - and
encoded as a document into UTF-8 (ibid).  That's what we use.

Dave

Dave