danc-02: goofy literals - proposal to close

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:04:36 +0300
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

PROPOSE: Reject this issue - the text is self-consistent.

History (rewritten):
Dan [1] says:
[[
specification of literals is goofy... "A literal in an RDF graph
  contains three components called: ...
  The datatype URI being an RDF URI reference. ...
  A plain literal is one in which the datatype URI is absent."
Hello? you just told me every literal has one.

Specify that the datatype URI and language identifier
are optional.
]]

I replied [2]:
****
I wanted to check that you had
seen the line in that subsection:
[[
The lexical form is present in all RDF literals; the language identifier and
the datatype URI may be absent from an RDF literal.
]]
*****

Dan replied [3]:
[[
Ah, no, in fact, I didn't see that.

I suppose that's sufficient, but...
]]

However, I had discussed other options, which was with hindsight a mistake.

Since Dan sees the current text as sufficient I see no reason to change it.

Jeremy

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-comments/2003JanMar/0112.html
[2]