xmlsch-04: values without lexical forms

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 20:22:25 +0300
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

The XML Schema WG ask why we permit values without lexical forms.

My understanding is that this was for union dataypes in XML Schema.

I will see what they say to that.

Were there any other reasons?

Jeremy

Example:
==========================
<xsd:element name="foo">
  <xsd:simpleType>
    <xsd:union memberTypes="xsd:string xsd:int"/>
  </xsd:simpleType>
</xsd:element>

Then the lexical mapping maps no values to the integer 2, but it is in the
value space since
   <foo xsi:type="xsd:int">2</foo>

conforms with this type, and accesses the hidden part of the value space.

(My XML Schema is weak - I am sure I have made a number of errors, but the
objective should be clear enough)