Re: test case: is RDF/XML layered on XML?

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:13:39 +0100
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
CC: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

Dave Beckett wrote:

> Why is this question being asked?

I share this concern.

The test cases should:
- test how RDF and RDF/XML work.
- test how RDF interacts with other standards where there is doubt.

I agree with Dave's analysis that there is no doubt here and so think we
should avoid this test case as the thin end of a very thick wedge.

Do we need to show how RDF/XML interacts with entity refs, chracter refs,
external entities, various badly formed XML thingies, relative namespaces
that have been deprecated according to the plenary decision, ....

As an implementator I need to be aware of these issues (or delegate them to
library code), but that doesn't necessarily make them appropriate things to
test.

I believe that we have test cases already that use entities for the
namespace declarations, and I will be surprised if we don't use an entity
for &xsd; in our datatyping test cases, but perhaps we shouldn't have a
specific test to demonstrate this. I think I would abstain if this test
case were put for approval.

Jeremy