Re: test case: is RDF/XML layered on XML?

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:39:15 +0100
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

>>>Brian McBride said:
>
> This is one of many possible test cases to clarify whether RDF/XML is
> really layered on XML, and we whether we expect standard XML processing to
> apply:

Why is this question being asked?

RDF/XML is defined above several XML specifications and it is
absolutely clear and easy to find what they are in the Normative
References section of:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-References

which cites the following XML standards:
    Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0, Second Edition
    Namespaces in XML
    XML Information Set
    XML Base

So anything that forms a legal infoset of them, is usable in rdf/xml.

> RDF/XML
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE rdf:RDF [
>    <!ENTITY test   "Some test text">]>
>
> <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
>           xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
>    <rdf:Description>
>      <rdfs:label>&test;</rdfs:labelL>
>    </rdf:Description>
> </rdf:RDF>

That's not well formed XML - the rdfs:label element doesn't balance.

> N-TRIPLES
>
>   _:a <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> "Some test text" .
>
> Yes/No?

Yes

But what exact point is this demonstrating?

Dave