Re: DECIDED: untidy semantics

From: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:35:35 +0200
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: "w3c-rdfcore-wg" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

[...]

> > but then how would you write (in RDF/XML)
> >    <something> <someproperty> "somestring" .
> > which I consider as a very meaningful statement
>
> Jos, which are you trying to express here:
>
> 1. That <something> has <someproperty> with the value denoted by
"somestring".
> 2. That <something> has <someproperty> with the value of the string
"somestring".

> ???

none of the above Patrick, just
3. the object of that statement *is* the typeless lexical form "somestring"

I think we need the primitive notion of a typeless lexical form
which is just denoting itself and of course it could be paired
with a rdfs:Datatype to describe a datatyped value but it must
also exist independently I think and identified with itself

-- ,

PS again sorry Brian, but our Lotus Notes seems to deform
   your name To: "Brian McBride <bwm" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
   which is causing some trouble I guess, so I corrected the CC