Re: The first sentence

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:11:39 -0600
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

> [[The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for
> representing information in the Web.]]

I hate to nitpick, but this isn't really true. RDF isn't a language,
it's a framework. Part of that is RDF/XML, which is a format. But even
RDF/XML doesn't represent information. More accurately, it encodes it.
And the Web--that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Now we get into
issues of whether my poodle is the Web. (And if so, will he get eaten
by a spider?)

The best description I've heard is one I got from DanBri: The Resource
Description Framework (RDF) is a framework for describing resources.

To provide a little more information we might want to say:

The Resource Description Framework (RDF) provides an simple abstract
syntax, an XML-based encoding, and a mathematical model for describing
resources.

--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] "Curb your consumption," he said.