Re: RDF literals and datatypes

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:35:54 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 11:57 25/10/2002 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:

[...]

>2. Jeremy's proposal has been criticized as changing the XML schema
>datatyping model.

I believe it is being criticised for being different to the XML schema
datatyping model.  We have not power to change the xsd model.

>   I don't think such criticism is well-founded.

I am not sure I'd use the word 'criticised'.  An observation is being made
about a feature of the proposal.

XSD maps strings to values.  The current proposal in the concepts doc
permits the mapping of pairs (string, lang) to values:

[[The value associated with the literal is found by applying the datatype
mapping associated with the datatype URI to the lexical form. The lexical
form is considered either as the pair (string and language identifier) or
just as the string component, as appropriate for the datatype.]]

   http://www.ninebynine.org/wip/RDF-concepts/2002-10-25/rdf-concepts.html

section 4.2.2

That looks different to me.

Let me put it as a test case.

Does

   <a> <b> "foo"@"lang1"^^dtype .
entail
   <a> <b> "foo"@"lang2"^^dtype .

for all dtype except the two built in ones for M&S style literals?