Re: draft question: option C

Dan,

It is my recollection that the idea of datatype URIs being both classes and
properties has been floating around for some time [*], and this is the
first time I've been aware of dissent with it (not counting the message to
rdf-logic as a record of dissent).

I think datatype as class and properties represent current WG thinking, so
if there is a problem with this I think we should hear what that problem is.

[*] a recent reference is:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Sep/0125.html

and from the datatyping draft that was agreed would be the basis for work
going forward:
[[
4. RDF Datatyping Model Theory

The RDF Model Theory explains the fundamental model-theoretic concepts like
interpretation, universe, extension etc. used for interpreting the
semantics of RDF graphs. This section assumes familiarity with these basic
concepts.

Suppose I is an RDF interpretation of a graph E. Then I is datatyped (with
respect to a set D of datatypes) if the following is true for any datatype
URI Reference ddd (with I(ddd) in D):

(1) ICEXT(I(ddd)) = {x : <x,y> in IEXT(I(ddd))}

I.e. the class extension of the datatype class is the value space of the
datatype.

(2) For any typed literal ddd"LLL",   I(ddd"LLL") = L2V(I(ddd))("LLL")

I.e. the typed literal node denotes the datatype value having the lexical
representation "LLL" according to the lexical to value mapping defined for
the datatype ddd
]]

Condition (1) is quite explicit about this.
The same appeared in some of Pat's earlier documents on this subject.

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>