Re: URIs for datatypes (not qnames)

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:32:50 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 09:18 AM 10/16/02 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Hi
>
>I am finally doing the work on datatypes in the abstract data model.
>I've hit two URI vs qname problems that I *think* somebody in the group knows
>the answer to ...
>
>However, I did not find appropriate normative references in:
>- Patrick's document
>- the errata for XSD
>
>1) how do I indicate that the URI
>   &xsd;integer
>is the concept referred to in the (normative ref to) XML Schema Datatypes as
>'integer' in the namespace xsd: [Please give documents that I can normatively
>reference].

Does XML schema datatypes, section 3.1 give you what you need?

http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#namespaces

(Possibly coupled with RDF's own concatenation rule for interpretation of
QNames as URIs?)

Hmmm... that's not quite the full story, is it?  Where does the '#' come from?

>2) when creating my own datatype (e.g. derived from an XML Schema Datatype)
>how do I assign a URI to it (rather than a <namespace, local name> pair)

I assumed we would invoke the RDF concatenation rule for making a URI from
a QName.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>