Re: So now we have tidy literals...

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
To: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>; "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>; "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>;
"Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: "RDF core WG" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Sent: 16 October, 2002 10:19
Subject: Re: So now we have tidy literals...

> At 08:42 16/10/2002 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>

> >[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690,
> >patrick.stickler@nokia.com]
> >

> > >   <a> <b> "foo" .
> > >
> > > is syntactic shorthand for
> > >
> > >   <a> <b> xsd:string"foo" .
> >
> >I would prefer not to see this explicit dependency between
> >RDF and XML Schema.
>
> I'm not committed to this idea, just floating it.  It would be helpful if
> you would you explain why you hold that preference.

It is a matter of principle, mostly. RDF Datatyping is (and IMO should remain)
datatype framework neutral. It fully supports XML Schema datatypes, but also
supports any datatype framework which is compatable with the basic datatyping
model defined by RDF.

Having inlined literals default to typed literals of a specific XML Schema
datatype violates this neutrality, and I see no real need for it.