Re: Comment on the concepts document

At 11:28 AM 10/14/02 -0400, Frank Manola wrote:

>Please refer to
>
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Aug/0226.html
>
>as the issue raised there still exists in the subject document.

OK, I think I see the problem.  In addressing the peripheral issues, I
overlooked the headline comment...

Section 2.3.1 has:
[[
The RDF model theory treats RDF as a simple assertional language, in which
each triple makes a distinct assertion, and the meaning of any triple is
not changed by adding other triples. Based on the semantics defined in the
model theory, it is simple to translate an RDF graph into a logical
expression with essentially the same meaning.
]]

And section 2.3.2 has:
[[
RDF/XML documents, i.e. encodings of RDF graphs, can be used to make
representations of claims or assertions about the 'real' world.

When an RDF graph is asserted in the web, its publisher is saying something
about their view of the world. Such an assertion should be understood to
carry the same social import and responsibilities as an assertion in any
other format. A combination of social (e.g. legal) and technical machinery
(protocols, file formats, publication frameworks) provide the contexts that
fix the intended meanings of the vocabulary of some piece of RDF, and which
distinguish assertions from other uses (e.g. citations, denals or
illustrations).
]]

The problem seems to be that 2.3.1 seems to suggest that the triples cannot
be expressed without being asserted.  I really don't want to let the prose
get bogged down here.  Does this work for you:
[[
The RDF model theory treats RDF as a simple assertional language, in which
each triple makes a distinct claim, and the meaning of any triple is not
changed by adding other triples. Based on the semantics defined in the
model theory, it is simple to translate an RDF graph into a logical
expression with essentially the same meaning.
]]

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>