Re: Further analysis on straw poll results

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:30:40 +0100
To: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

At 17:18 10/10/2002 -0400, Frank Manola wrote:
>Brian--
>
>Can you go over how you did your analysis (and in particular how you did
>your summary figures)?

Certainly.  I'm not sure I've much to add to

[[... Each column
represents an option.  The top row indicates the number of folks who put
each option as first choice, the second row as second choice etc until the
bottom row which shows the number who considered each option unacceptable.
]]

from

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0089.html

unless you have a specific question.

The further analysis message did the same thing, but simply based on
whether folks preferred C or F.

>   For one thing, in your revised summary that included Dave Beckett's
> response, you showed:
>
>            B          C          D          F
>
>1st        **         ****       *          ****
>2nd        ****       ***        ***        *
>3rd        *          *          ****       ***
>4th        *          *
>Unn        **         *          **         **
>
>But your analysis, after removing all but C and F, has only 3 people
>preferring F.  Where did the fourth one shown for F in the "1st" row above go?

Ah, you do have a question.  The fourth one was Graham. Graham gave equal
top weight to C and F, so had two * in the top row of the table you quote
above.

[[
B: 2    (rdfs:format, no datatype "interpretation" properties)

C: 3    (rdf:datatype typed literals)

D: 2    (C + Mid-range typing)

F: 3    (value semantics)
]]

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0050.html

However, when I did the analysis, which asks who prefers F to C and who
prefers C to F, then Graham did not distinguish between the two which I noted:

[[
These figures do not include Graham, who responded but did not distinguish
between C and F,
]]

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0095.html

It seemed most appropriate not to include Graham as the table shows
preferences and Graham did not express a preference between C and F.

Is that reasonable?

I would prefer it if someone could check the numbers.  Its late here, and
I'm both tired and stressed by all this and could easily have made mistake.