Worry about RDF list semantics

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:46:20 +0100
To: Jos De_Roo <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
CC: "Graham Klyne <GK" <GK@ninebynine.org>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg-request@w3.org

I am worried about Pat's proposals for *any* RDF list semantics.

I had believed that we were going to provide a list syntax, and leave
the semantics to WebOnt.

Pat's current proposal appears to have three unfortunate features:

_:l rdf:first <a> .
_:l rdf:first <b> .

RDF closures of the empty rdf graph are infinite.

The following rdf graph has no interpretations:

rdf:nil rdf:first <foo> .

(I note that we will have datatype errors in RDF graphs soon, but that
feels to me like a significantly more limited style of 'contradiction').

On the basis of these three features, which are more characteristic of
OWL than RDF I suggest we ask WebOnt to handle List semantics.