Re: incomplete entailments [Was: email straw poll: literal semantics proposals]

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com>
To: "Frank Manola <fmanola" <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>; <w3c-rdfcore-wg-request@w3.org>; "brian_mcbride" <brian_mcbride@hp.com>
Sent: 10 October, 2002 17:35
Subject: incomplete entailments [Was: email straw poll: literal semantics proposals]

> Frank, it seems to me a primitive entailment
> and as such a basic and core entailment for
> a machine to make, but indeed not like NLP
> (natural language processing)
> Avoiding to make it is like having something
> like a hidden C, D or E

Bingo! That's precisely it. F provides an implicit C
like interpretation of the inlined literals.

Thus, for any literal -- typed or inlined -- the interpretation
is based on

   DATATYPE + LEXICAL_FORM = VALUE

and if you have both in the node label, such as with a
typed literal node, then you have all the info you need
to get to the value (with knowledge of the datatype of
course). I.e.

   xsd:integer + "10" = 10

If you only have the lexical form in the node label, such
as an inlined literal, then you need the "missing" datatype
part from somewhere else to determine its meaning, such as
provided by an rdfs:range constraint.

   ??? + "10" = ???

   ... rdfs:range xsd:integer .

   xsd:integer + "10" = 10

But in either case, the node is taken to denote a datatype
value and comparisons of two inlined literal nodes simply
cannot be done if the datatype information is missing.

Think of it like a function that takes four arguments,
the datatype and lexical form of the first node and the
datatype and lexical form of the second node, and returns
true or false. E.g.

   equalValues(dt1, lf1, dt2, lf2)

if you're missing the datatype for one or both of the literals,
then you can't pass all the required arguments to the function
for comparision. E.g.

   equalValues(null, "LLL", null, "LLL")

and the comparison simply cannot be made.

Eh?

Patrick