Authoritative definition of a predicate

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:11:44 +0000
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Jeremy,

These words were originally penned in response to a comment from TimBL, in
which he suggested that the predicate was of primary importance in
determining the meaning of a statement.  There has since been some
disagreement with what I drafted, and the language has been watered down to
try and capture a sense of the importance of the predicate without
asserting that it is of "primary" importance.

I think TimBL was making an observation about the practicalities of using
RDF that is not easy to capture in its formal specification.  I think your
revised wording effectively captures the part which is reasonably part of
the specification (modulo discussion elsewhere about authority).

At 11:45 AM 11/21/02 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>Further:
>
>if we have not discussed it before, with a decision, could we discuss:
>[[
>2.4.4 Authoritative definition of a predicate
>
>RDF assumes that for any URI some individual or organization has the
>authority to define the meaning of that URI. An RDF predicate is defined by
>the individual or organization with such the authority with respect to the
>its URI, and misuse by others should not be permitted to undermine that
>authority.
>]]
>
>This feels to me as if it should either be marked normative or deleted.
>
>Since I have no recollection of this being there :( I am inclined to mark it
>as normative  since I assume it's there for good reason.
>
>i.e. new text:
>

>[[
>2.4.4 Authoritative Definition of a Predicate (Normative)
>
>RDF assumes that for any URI some individual or organization has the
>authority to define the meaning of that URI. An RDF predicate is defined by
>the individual or organization with such authority with respect to the its
>URI.
>]]
>
>I think there should be a formal decision on this.
>
>Jeremy

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>