freenet URIs and URI ownership

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:41:47 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Anyone understand freenet?

As far as I understand freenet URIs have an owner, who often wishes to
remain anonymous. (Hence the use of freenet).

Thus, putting too much weight on URIs having an authoritative owner may put
RDF on the side of centralist big corporate against the more anarchic p2p
freedom loving hackers.

As far as I can see, freenet URIs could be made to work within the framework
of authoritative statements, since essentially a freenet URI is a URL and so
the authoritative statement of what a freenet URI means is the content that
can be retrieved from that URL, if any.

Jeremy