Re: freenet URIs and URI ownership

At 03:41 PM 11/21/02 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Anyone understand freenet?
>
>As far as I understand freenet URIs have an owner, who often wishes to
>remain anonymous. (Hence the use of freenet).
>
>Thus, putting too much weight on URIs having an authoritative owner may put
>RDF on the side of centralist big corporate against the more anarchic p2p
>freedom loving hackers.
>
>As far as I can see, freenet URIs could be made to work within the framework
>of authoritative statements, since essentially a freenet URI is a URL and so
>the authoritative statement of what a freenet URI means is the content that
>can be retrieved from that URL, if any.

This is reminiscent of something TimBL said in rebuttal of a comment I
made... that naming authority really should be backed up by some definitive
retrieval mechanism, preferably online.  I guess that freenet provides that
in this case, and that is the only way to find the authority's intent.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>