Re: freenet URIs and URI ownership

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:19:38 +0000
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

At 03:41 PM 11/21/02 +0100, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

>Anyone understand freenet?
>As far as I understand freenet URIs have an owner, who often wishes to
>remain anonymous. (Hence the use of freenet).
>Thus, putting too much weight on URIs having an authoritative owner may put
>RDF on the side of centralist big corporate against the more anarchic p2p
>freedom loving hackers.
>As far as I can see, freenet URIs could be made to work within the framework
>of authoritative statements, since essentially a freenet URI is a URL and so
>the authoritative statement of what a freenet URI means is the content that
>can be retrieved from that URL, if any.

This is reminiscent of something TimBL said in rebuttal of a comment I
made... that naming authority really should be backed up by some definitive
retrieval mechanism, preferably online.  I guess that freenet provides that
in this case, and that is the only way to find the authority's intent.

Graham Klyne