Datatyping issue, too many options?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:04:26 +0000
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
I can't remember if we agreed this was an issue:

The latest datatyping proposal [1] provides three different ways to apply
datatyping:

(1) Sections 1, 5:

    ex:Jenny ex:age "10" .
    ex:age rdfs:drange datatype:decimal .

(2) Section 3:

    ex:Jenny ex:age _:x .
    _:x datatype:decimal "10" .

(3) Section 5:

    ex:Jenny ex:age _:x .
    _:x rdfs:dlex "10" .
    ex:age rdfs:drange datatype:decimal .

I think that options (1) and (2) cover the use cases that have been put
forward.  I don't recall a use-case that needs (3), so this may be an issue
to the extent that the proposal goes to some additional effort to support
more options than may be really needed.

(This presumes a slight weakening of one of the stated desiderata
concerning uniform application of "local" and "global" typing
idioms.  Effectively, option (1) is a "global" (or "remote") mechanism,
which can also be applied locally.  Option (2) is a strictly local
mechanism.  (3) might be viewed as a "global" (or "remote") variant of (2).)

<aside>

(4) Another option, not explicitly part of the datatyping spec, but noted
here for completeness since this is implicated by the non-datatyping
elements of RDF schema:

    ex:Jenny ex:age _:x .
    _:x rdf:type datatype:decimal .
     :
    (other properties for _:x, etc.)

which would be rdfs-entailed by:

    ex:age rdfs:range datatype:decimal .
    ex:Jenny ex:age _:x .
     :
    (other properties for _:x, etc.)

</aside>

A very much lesser possible issue:  is the name "rdfs:drange" appropriate
for its use to indicate allowable lexical forms?

[1] http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/simpledatatype23-02-2002.html

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>