Re: datatyping unstaked

At 08:45 PM 6/14/02 -0500, patrick hayes wrote:

>>>One way to rule things like this out, if someone wanted to do that,
>>>would be:
>>>
>>><rdfs:range> <rdfs:subPropertyOf> < rdfd:rangedatatype>  .
>>
>>Isn't that potentially non-monotonic?  (I think this is a general problem
>>with making additional assertions about core RDF vocabulary.)
>
>I don't quite see how. It would certainly be rather a dangerous thing to
>assert in general, which is why I was only half-serious, but I think it
>would be monotonic. I hope so, anyway. Can you give more details? You have
>me worried.

It's been a busy week, and I've lost my context.  I think I may have got
myself confused about the "direction" of monotonicity here.  My concerns
were that expectations about the meaning of "basic" RDF constructs may be
confounded.

<aside>
My recollection is that I was considering the effect of such an addition on
a subgraph like:
   <ex:Jenny> <ex:age> "10" .
   <ex:Joe> <ex:age> _:x .
   _:x <xsd:string> "10" .
   <ex:age> <rdfd:rangedatatype> <xsd:integer> .
which may be true under some interpretation, but in the presence of the
additional subProperty the enlarged subgraph could be false under the same
interpretation.  But I see that was just me confusing myself about
monotonicity.
</aside>

#g

Graham Klyne