Re: datatyping unstaked

From: patrick hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:45:14 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

>On first pass, I find this an improvement on the current datatyping,
>and is far better suited to the requirements of CC/PP.
>I need to study this more carefully, but meanwhile have a couple of
>small comments:
>>Second, we could introduce a special property called something like
>>rdfd:rigidliteral, which forces a literal to be interpreted
>>literally, as it were. This acts like a datatype property, but what
>>it says is that the literal really does denote itself: its a kind
>>of pre-emptive datatype-exclusion device which produces a datatype
>>clash with any datatype. The semantics is that it forces D to be
>>the identity map in its object, and it denotes equality. Then we
>>could get the current meaning by writing things like
>Wouldn't asserting a datatype of xsd:string (which maps literal
>strings to themselves) on the corresponding property have the same

Yes, it would (provided we say that those strings in literals really
are xsd:strings: Im not sure if some people might want to argue that
each datatype defines it sown notion of 'string'.) I just thought we
could use this without appealing to any external datatypes. Maybe
this isnt such a great idea, in any case.

>Or, for example, using xsd:string datatype mapping, as in:
>   <ex:Jenny> <ex:age> _:x .
>   _:x <xsd:string> "10" .
>I can't see what value rdfd:rigidliteral would add.
>>One way to rule things like this out, if someone wanted to do that, would be:
>><rdfs:range> <rdfs:subPropertyOf> < rdfd:rangedatatype>  .
>Isn't that potentially non-monotonic?  (I think this is a general
>problem with making additional assertions about core RDF vocabulary.)

I don't quite see how. It would certainly be rather a dangerous thing
to assert in general, which is why I was only half-serious, but I
think it would be monotonic. I hope so, anyway. Can you give more
details? You have me worried.

IHMC					(850)322 0319   cell
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax