Re: single property not required (Datatypes)

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:22:39 -0500
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
To: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>

On Wednesday, July 31, 2002, at 11:36  AM, Dave Beckett wrote:
>>>  5. Only one age property required.
>> If it wasn't obvious I contest this decision and call for a revote.
> It wasn't a vote but I see it as highly unlikelty that vocabularies
> such as Dublin Core are going to invent two RDF properties for every
> property in their model just to get datatypes.

I don't understand that at all. Either the property is already in
existence and people are required to write something like:

:John :age "4" .
(i.e. the object is a literal containing a bunch of numerals)

and this is just a way to describe that more formally or they're
creating a new property which either doesn't have a standard datatype
scheme and they'll use the local idiom or it does and they'll use an
idiom like above. If they pick the first, they'll optionally create a
second property if they want to make it easier for people to abbreviate
a standard form.

I don't see why this is so special. We don't get upset that people have
to make author and authorName if they want to abbreviate. How is this
different?
--
Aaron [http://www.aaronsw.com] 4FAC4838B7D8D13FA6D92EDB4145521E79F0DF4B