RE: Outstanding Issues - rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr:

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 09:57:03 -0000
To: "Brian McBride" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, "RDF Core" <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr:

> The propertyElt production 6.12 of the grammar does not
> allow both an ID attribute and a resource attribute to
> be specified (owner Dave Beckett)

> Dave has made a proposal in the syntax WD; awaiting counter
> proposal from Jeremy.

My counter proposal was made a while ago:

  An rdf:ID attribute is permissable on all property elements and always
refers to the resource that is the reification of the triple corresponding
to that property element.

The only issue seems to be whether this is a change or a clarification.
I don't care which.

Given that we are trying to make reification usable for provenance and to
force a "reification is intended for provenance" reading from M&S, I think
this is sensible.

With what I understand of the lack of uniformity in the other proposal
actually using the syntactic mechanism for reification becomes a
hyper-specialized activity.