Re: Agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2002-02-15

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:01:18 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
CC: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 12:46, bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com wrote:

> and we advise implementors of RDF serializers:
>
> (e) in order to break a URI into a namespacename and a local
> name, split it at the last XML name character. If the URI
> ends in a non-name-character

Do you mean that the name has only the last name character,
or the maximal number of final name characters? I.e.

   (http://abc.com/foo#ba) (r)

or

   (http://abc.com/foo#) (bar)

???

The latter would be much more intiutive, much more
frequently "correct" and much more closely reflect
common usage.

The latter also fits with the recommendation that
namespaces end in a non-name character, which if
both recommendations are followed consistently, would
provide reliable round-tripping of actual URI->qname
partitioning.

Could we suggest the latter treatment, please (if you
meant the former) and make it clear regardless?

Thanks,

Patrick